Conference Day Two: Wednesday 29th August, 2018
7:00 am - 9:00 am Workshop B
9:00 am - 9:20 am Conference Registration and Welcome Coffee
9:20 am - 9:30 am Opening Remarks by IQPC and the Conference Chair
9:30 am - 10:10 am Panel Discussion: What External Factors are Currently Driving Investment in Modular Design & Construction?Drenka Angjelic - Managing Director Construction Assignments
Simon McCarthy - Senior Structural Engineer Wallbridge Gilbert Aztec Consulting Engineers
James Lind - Clinical lead HIU Clinical Excellence Division Gold Coast Health
In this session, you will hear clients and stakeholders from different sectors of modular discuss the trends of prefabricated modular design and construction in their sector and explore their decision to support this method of construction.
- Which sectors are experiencing the most investment in modular
- Accounting for external factors driving investment
- Exploring the client’s decision to support prefabricated design and construction
- How can modular adapt to capture a wider amount of investment from clients in these sectors
Drenka AngjelicManaging Director
Simon McCarthySenior Structural Engineer
Wallbridge Gilbert Aztec Consulting Engineers
James LindClinical lead HIU Clinical Excellence Division
Gold Coast Health
10:10 am - 10:40 am Thought Leadership Session
10:40 am - 11:10 am MORNING TEA AND NETWORKING BREAK
11:10 am - 11:50 am Case Study: How Cross Laminated Timber allowed for Production of Sustainable and Innovative Office Spaces that was Constructed 4 Storeys Higher than Traditional MethodsJulian Anderson - Director Bates Smart
Following the need for sustainable and innovation design solutions for infrastructure, Architects at Bates Smart chose to explore pre fabrication options and technology to create bespoke workplaces that are highly contemporary and meet customer needs and expectations
- Case Study of 55 Southbank Boulevard, an apartment hotel where developers used cross laminated timber to add the 10 storey commercial tower on top of the existing commercial office building, as opposed to only 6 that would have been possible through traditional methods
- Examining the $2.9 billion redevelopment of 25 King Street which delivered a sustainable two storey timber colonnade.
- Exploring the choose to use exposed cross laminated timber to create a contemporary studio environment
- Exploring the benefits of highly engineered timber for innovation design options that meets the demands of the contemporary workplace.
11:50 am - 12:30 pm Case Study: Utilising Modular Solutions for Education to Create Innovative Learning Environments that Can be Constructed in a Few DaysAndrew Duffin - Director NBRS Architecture
In this session Andrew Duffin will explore leading case studies taken from education infrastructure projects that highlight the design capabilities of modular in creating engaging school living spaces.
- Case study of St George Christian School in Hurstville which was constructed using flexible learning spaces
- The innovations behind Modupod, dynamic pods that can be easily assembled to create a range of learning environments
- Case study of Cainsfoot School which was able to be relocated to a new site in Brighton Le Sands through modular design
- Exploring how modularisation and design can interact with outdoor elements
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm NETWORKING LUNCH
1:30 pm - 2:10 pm Challenges of Delivering Lightweight Schools to Earthquake Prone Areas of Nepal through Prefabricated Design
2:10 pm - 3:00 pm Case Study: Incorporating Creative Modular Design and Construction for Hotel Infrastructure
Hotel Not Hotel is a place in Amsterdam where a room isn’t just a room, but a work of art with its own creator, story, and identity. The experience is part hotel, part art installation. Each room is hidden behind a fantastical facade, making every single one feel like its own special hideaway. With quirky designs, hidden doors and a small van to sleep in, Bruno will enlighten you into how he created this fascinating hotel and what he would do differently for his next creation.
- An overview of choosing a location, getting finance and the development phase of building the hotel.
- Addressing how modular design and construction was created used to create the desired whimsical and unique spaces
3:00 pm - 3:30 pm AFTERNOON TEA AND NETWORKING BREAK
3:30 pm - 4:10 pm Case Study: Creating Sustainable and Bespoke Living Spaces through Utilising Cross Laminated Timber
Robert is a professional Business Manager with 20 years experience in project management, business development and construction design and delivery. In this session Robert will explore the design and construction capabilities of CLT for modular design and construction. This session will explore:
- Case study of $47 million 55 Southbank Boulevard which was constructed on top of an existing office building using CLT
- Case study of the $3 million Oakleigh Child Care Centre
- Case study of the $8 million Barry Street Apartments